Wednesday 25 January 2017

How to become TKI Network Engineer


This is the first blog after few years become TKI or expatriate in other country. I am trying to write this blog using English even I am not really good in daily English language but at least I am confident to use it on working environment. 
This blog is to remind me and other people that have skill and passion in IT Networking but still doesn't have confident to work in other country. I just want to share what I am learn from "zero" networking knowledge after graduate from my university until now. It has been more than 8 years since I'm graduate from my university. 
I'm starting my career with level 1 monitoring team especially for network telecommunication devices. It's very different than what I'm learned from university. I don't really know about router, switches, even SGSN and other telco devices. I only know these things on theory. It took around few month until I understand the function of these devices. Then After almost 6 months I am feeling this is not exited anymore, only monitor and create ticket once we have issue either is it red or yellow alarm from Network Monitoring System (NMS). 
After that somebody show me blog of other Indonesian expatriate, he have knowledge and skill, flying to different countries. It's like a dream for me, I always have question why this guy can do like that. He inspired me to learn more and more about networking. 
What I learn from his blog is we are equal like other expatriate even we can do better. The only different is mindset, yes this is very important. We need to change our mindset before we want to achieve our dream. 
Let me describe few things that changes my life:
1) Mindset
First, we need to believe we are equal with other expatriate.
2) International Certification Skill
Second, we need to increase our skills especially skill that have international certification. Why this is very important? In Indonesia, we have so many people having degree and we need to understand that HR MNC (Multi National Company) in abroad is not recognise most of our university. Most of them is only know what is requirement from company, i.e what is the skill requirement and for this they only simply search the certification and experience from candidate.
3) Global Language
Third, global language like English is very important. To achieve this we need to be confident, please speak and try to have some interview from other country. Usually they will do call interview. But don't worry about that just do it, learn how to hear and speak slowly.
4) Learn new thing and keep trying
Fourth, always learn new things and always try the best even it's fail but keep trying.
5) Put your simple and interesting resume in online job search
Fifth, be remember to make our resume or cv as simple as we can and make it interesting. Put your strength and your experience on that. Make it easy to read and understand, i.e. in a few second make them understand you have that skill and experience.

We are not lonely here, but we have many brother and sister from Indonesia working as expert expatriate in whole over the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment